Have you been looking for an excuse to stretch your design legs? Whether you’ve never designed before or you’re a pro looking to dedicate some time to being creative (instead of formatting and doing paperwork), Design Week is for you!
I’ve declared March 12th-17th Knit and Crochet Design Week. It’s a time for us knitters and crocheters to set aside 30 minutes a day to: work on designing, share your progress and learn from fellow designers.
Who can join?
Anyone! Design Week is about getting your creative juices flowing and setting goals that suit you! Have you been wanting to knit a blanket, and need motivation to put together your own crazy color combination? Been crocheting amigurumi for a while and want to try your hand at your own designs? Been designing for a while, but feel stuck in a rut?
Come one, come all! No matter where you’re at in your ‘designing life’, I want to see you!
How does it work?
Want to design along? Write a blog post about who you are and what your goals will be for the week, and paste it in Mr. Linky at the bottom of this post.
No clear goals, yet? No worries! Post a link to your blog, anyway, so that I know you’ll be designing along with me the week of March 12th!
Add the badge to your blog.
(this part is totally optional…)
Let everyone who visits your blog know that you’re a Design Week designer!
Download the badge on the left and put on your blog. (To download the image: right click on the image, click ‘save Image As…’)
Add a link to this page so that others can join in!
During Design Week, link to your newest post.
Each day during Design Week, I’ll write a new post on this blog. The post will contain what I’m currently designing (I’m a Design Week designer, too!), as well as a place for you to post your link.
Be sure to add your new post in the comment section each day, so that we can all keep up with your progress.
Are there daily themes?
There sure are! I know it can be hard to blog about the same project every day for a week, so I’ve come up with some themes to get you started. Feel free to go off track, though, if you feel inspired!
- Monday: sketches Share some sketches! What are you planning on designing? Still deciding between a few ideas? This is the day to spill all your ideas on the table and get feedback from your readers.
- Tuesday: techniques When you start a design, it helps to search for techniques that will be useful to you. Are you using a great stitch dictionary? Need to learn a super-stretchy cast-on to make your idea work? Share the techniques that are crucial to your project… we’ll all learn something!
- Wednesday: yarn What yarn is going to make your project rock? How did you decide which fibers/colors to use? Walk us through your decision process.
- Thursday: design progress Of course, you may have been showing us photos of your design progress all along, but today is the day to flash it!
- Friday: problems Did you run into any unexpected problems? Still having issues that you haven’t sorted out? Tell us about them (and maybe someone can help!)
- Saturday: into a pattern Thinking of turning your design into a pattern? Is your design going to a lovely new home? What have you learned this week? Share your future plans for your project and chat about your experiences.
You don’t have to blog every day… but it’ll certainly be more fun if you do!
Ready for an awesome week of design? Add your blog below and join me!
Update 3/11/12: design week has started! Please post the link to your blog in the comment section of the current day’s Design Week blog post!