Most of us feel at a loss for words when it comes to the tragedy that occurred this week in Newtown, CT. Such a senseless act of violence leaves us feeling powerless. We’re not sure what could have been done to prevent such an event.
However, in the aftermath, there is something you can do to help. No matter where you live, you can contribute to the healing process.
When Dee Stanziano (Happily Hooked on Crochet-CT & Crochet Guild of America) and Rhonda Reese (Crochet Guild of Prince William County-VA & CGOA) asked if I could help gather stuffed animals for the children of Newtown, I said, “Heck yeah!”. (Well, I actually said, “You guys are geniuses, let me know how to help…”)
Logistics are still being sorted out, and I’ll keep you up to date. But here’s what you can start doing right now: get out your crochet hook and start crocheting!
Update (12/18/12): We have a mailing address!
Please mail your stuffed animals to: The Happily Hooked on Crocheting Club
3238 Route 52
Stormville, NY 12582
If you would like to download a hangtag to print, visit this website.
Make stuffed animals for the children of Newtown
We all know how comforting a stuffed animal is, and the goal is to gather a stuffed animal for each of the 450 students at the school. We’d also like to collect animals for siblings of students at the school, likely doubling this number.
Here are the details that have been organized so far:
- Crochet, knit or sew a stuffed animal.
- The school’s colors are green & white, if you’d like that to factor into your color choices.
- Animals can be mailed in (the address is still being arranged, stay tuned), or brought to a drop-off point if you’re in the CT or DC area.
- We’re aiming to gather/ship animals within the next week or two, since that’s when the need is strongest.
Are you the sort of person who just loves making stuffed animals and has a stash? And no recipient in mind? Awesome! This is the perfect opportunity! You don’t need to make a stuffed animal just for this occasion… any new & handmade animal will do the trick.
Animals that are ‘cuddle-sized’ (approx. 6-12 inches tall) are preferable. While most FreshStitches patterns are this size, there are also a number of free patterns available that would be fabulous.
- Howie the Penguin (designed by me, non-holiday version)
- Bear in a Jif by Lion Brand
- 10 monster patterns available on Knitting Fever (designed by me)
- Blue Bunny by Deb Richey for Caron Yarn
- Richard the whale (designed by me)
- Sock Monkey by Patons
- Crochet Me Amigurumi e-book (which includes my own Hugo the Hippo)
If your heart is aching, then channel those feelings into making a stuffed animal that will be cherished in this tough time.
Just a reminder: I’m heading out of town tomorrow! So, today (December 16th) is the last day to order kits or books, and have them shipped before I depart.
All orders placed after today will be shipped when I return home on January 16, 2013. (Whoa! That sounds like a long way away, right?!?)
Patterns will be emailed during this time, as usual.