Home widget top left

You can add widgets here from Admin->Appearance->Widgets

Home widget top right

You can add widgets here from Admin->Appearance->Widgets

Blog

For the love of KnitPurlGurl…

I had a tutorial on ‘how to hand-wash socks’ scheduled for today. It can wait.

I just learned that Karrie of KnitPurlGurl passed away. I still can’t believe it. I’m incredibly sad. She was my yarny friend.

The last time I saw Karrie was at Stitches East. We had met in person the previous year at the Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival’s pajama party. She was wearing Different Lines by Veera Vaalimaki, and I was wearing a Stripe Study. We chatted about yarns, our stashes and general knitting fun.

We met up for the podcaster’s meet-up at Stitches East… she knew I had begun podcasting and sent me a tweet about it. We were the only two at the meet-up who hadn’t had lunch yet, so we went off afterwards to find something to eat. Not an easy task in Hartford.

We picked up Daniel Yuhas on the way and ended up at a cute sandwich place. We talked about podcasting, doing reviews, pattern sales, goals and strategies. And coffee. Karrie was a spunky, awesome-sauce girl.

We left each other with the casual “see ya next time!” that one tends to throw around at these conventions. It actually never occurred to me that for someone so young, there might not be a next time.

Even if you didn’t know Karrie, you can still pop over to her website and listen to her podcasts. Her Ravelry group is having chats about honoring her memory.

Every possible ending to this blog post that I can think of sounds cliche. But it’s true: Karrie will be missed.

10 Responses to “For the love of KnitPurlGurl…”

1. Nicole says:

When did she pass and how did you find out about it? I just got on Plurk and saw the news. I am in such shock- I was just watching her podcast, and she just posted on Twitter earlier today . This is so sad! She was a wonderful lady and will be missed :((

• Stacey says:

@Nicole- She passed away yesterday morning, and a friend of hers made the announcement in her Ravelry group last night. I found out this morning as I was checking facebook, Ravelry and Twitter.
      The tweet that went out this morning was most likely a pre-scheduled or automatically generated tweet.

2. Nicole says:

You are lucky that you got to know her

3. Maryann Crusoe says:

Sorry about your loss. Just shows to go ya, every day is precious.

4. Tez says:

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend’s earthly presence. That tangible gift is so difficult to say good bye to. I wish you peace.

5. sue says:

I read it on plurk yesterday and was so shocked to hear that she had passed away. I will miss her too even though I only knew her on plurk and fb. I really feel for her husband and 2 children too. I hope the crafty world do something for her family in rememberance for her. Also I noticed that knitters last night were doing the RAOK pattern giving to people too in her honour as she did this every Tuesday. Karrie you were a beautiful person who passed away too soon and you will be very sadly missed.

6. Patty says:

I took a peek over in Ravelry & her group looks to be very close-knit (pun intended). They are forming groups (KAL’s & RAP’s). My wish is that their way of honoring her life will give her family and yarny-friends some comfort.

7. DeeAnna says:

I am so sorry to hear this! I can’t believe it either!!! :'( Thoughts and prayers to her friends, family, and fans.

8. I feel like the most horrible of horrible friends right now. I was on FB seeing about the China and CT issues at school and someone posted about it being to much to bear just after the loss of Karrie.

I had been following her for a while and got to spend two days with her at the PGH Knit Crochet festival. She even bought me the stitch markers I used in your session making Dale. I was just thinking about her the other day wondering if she was going to PGH Knit Crochet and meeting up with her to have her show me how to knit.

I’m in total and utter shock. I’m crying and just can’t believe all the loss that is surrounding us these days.

I’ve been so horrible keeping up with everyone. Focus so inward. Does anyone know what happened? Car accident? Heart? I just can’t believe it.

• Stacey says:

@Alaina- My assumption is that her passing was due to some sort of natural cause (i.e. not a car accident), since the cause of death was not immediately known.

You should feel free to join her Ravelry group- there are a few memorial things going on, and it’s a great source of information.