I’m a newbie to crocheting with wire, so I was excited to get my hands on Crochet Wire Jewelry!
Overview of the Book
This is a beautifully-composed book with lovely projects and a medium-sized (but contains everything you need!) introduction.
Each crochet stitch that you’ll need to use is fully illustrated at the start of the book, so if you’re adventurous, you could use the patterns in this book without having crocheted before!
The introduction also contains fabulous tips on crocheting with wire… since it’s a completely different material from yarn. Reading the tips definitely prepared me for having a lovely-looking finished piece!
There are a wide variety of projects in this book: rings, broaches, earrings, necklaces, bracelets and even a belt and handbag!
The projects in this book have a modern feel, and quite a few could easily slip into your everyday wardrobe.
There are no difficulty levels listed in the book, but the majority of projects seem to use single or double crochet and would be appropriate for an advanced beginner. Experienced crocheters may not find the actual stitches challenging, but will enjoy working on projects with a novel medium like wire.
Pros and Cons
I think this is a lovely book, and would recommend it to anyone interested in getting started with wire crocheting. The highlights are:
- Great details about working with wire and getting a fabulous finished product (which is a detail missing from far too many books).
- A variety of projects that contain illustrations of any tricky parts.
- An introduction to reading charts (and charted patterns are provided for some projects).
I don’t have a lot to complain about, but there were a couple of (minor) downsides:
- Exact amounts of wire aren’t given, the instructions just say that ’1 spool of wire’ is needed. This makes it difficult to plan a number of projects in one shopping trip.
- Difficulty levels aren’t listed on patterns.
So, if you’re interested in crocheting with wire, give Crochet Wire Jewelry a try!